From: markmohrfield <markmohrfield_at_zoomtown.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:45:36 -0500

Me

>Speaking of movies with a Gloranthan flavor, I'd like to take this chance to plug the animated film "Princess Mononoke". It's got a hero who rides an animal that isn't a horse (an elk), a Telmori for the heroine (well, almost and several weird forest spirits. All things that should satisfy we Gloranthophiles.<

Adept

>If I haven't remembered to say it before, then I'll have to chime in with
this. Mononoke Hime is _the_ glorantha film out there. It's got just the right epic feel, and and the forest is something I'm going to adopt for that weird East-Ralian elf wood.<

Hayao Miyazaki, who directed "Mononoke Hime/Princess Mononoke", also directed "Kaze no tani Nausicaa/Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" which has a forest of giant fungi inhabited by giant insects in it that would be a great model for Sporewood in Dagori Inkarth. This one hasn't been translated into english yet(excepting a horrible version called "Warriors of the Wind", which I would term a MIStranslation), although Disney has the rights for it and plans to do so.

>I really recommend getting a _good_ subtitled version, and not falling for
a dubbed one. It's never worth it, and the original voice acting is remarkable. Get a video projector and a big screen if you can, or at least plug a big stereo set to your videos and light some candles. Mononoke Hime is a movie I want every one of my Glorantha gamers to see.<

For the record, I did enjoy the dubbed version, which was translated by Neil Gaiman of "Sandman" fame.

                   Mark Mohrfield