'Newt Feeding

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:08:52 +0000

Master Gollum
> 20.000 are the dragonwets of Dragon Pass. If most of them live
> Dragon's Eye lands, how subsist? I think for hunter society is
> impossible maintain a great city, it need some infrastructure.
> If orlanthi farmer the land they take dragonwet habitat. Where
> hunter after? For feed 20.000 mouth it need a lot of food!

Dragonewts are an old race, similar to their adult kin and the giants which stem from the same time. We know that giants have strange feeding requirements. I don't recall exactly whether it was Boshbisil or Gonn Orta himself who fed twice a year, salad from the Elder Wilds elves and meat from the Praxians. Real old giants or true dragons rarely feed at all (though they don't move much, either).

Some while ago it was suggested that the Teleosan 'newts never feed...

It is quite possible that the carnivorous stage of the dragonewts (the beaked/warrior stage, plus the omnivorous priest/noble stage for their meat diet) will go without food for long time. Besides, they seem to make up maybe 40% of the population, the rest are herbivorous crested/scout stage 'newts (I suppose checking the counters in DP might yield even less warriors, if you halve the number for cavalry units).

'Newts may be some sort of cannibals, too, eating their own corpses, or that of dinosaurs. A brontosaur will feed quite a lot of 'newts. Elder Wilds 'newts are known for herding saurians.

For game use, if a 'newt decides to feed on your horse or your companions, it will rather have a mystical reason than simple hunger. (Unless hunger is the emotional aspect meditated on in this life.)