Re: Spirit Magic in HW

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:34:18 EST

Bob Stancliff:

<< I have got the impression that HW lists heroic feats, but spells are averaged into the skill ranking. All sorcerous, divine and spirit spells would end up being treated as skill adds or augments when a character is converted. Detail is sacrificed for convenience and speed.>>

     Its true that the primary function of spells in HW is to augment or replace skill rolls (depending on what you're trying to do), but spells still exist in all three traditions. Only the sorcerous ones are actually called 'spells', but divine feats, spirit talents and mystic powers all fill a similar function to spells in RQ. Divine feats are not necessarily 'heroic', because it depends what level of ability you have.

    For example, Ernalda has (among many others) the feats of Cure Minor Disease, Heal Injury and Speak to Domestic Beast. Those sound an awful lot like divine and spirit magic spells to me. Heal Injury for instance, could vary from the equivalent of Heal 1 to Heal Wound backed with 10 magic points, depending on its TN.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky