Lady of the Wild re: GD 493

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:29:21 +0200

(Hmmm ... my mailer is acting up.
Hope you don't get this more than once ...)

Excellent Lady of the Wild stuff from Madam X.

Loved it so much, that I went and 'got' John Hughes' post in GD 446 from majordomo.

Also excellent !

Can anyone tell me which GD Darvall's original post originally appeared in BTW ?

I'll make a few comments on both posts,
'cos the LotW is a goddess that I'm curious about.

> >>I wrote this stuff in order to give my hunter's a more wilderness centred
> >>approach to their lives.

Good. But the hunter, like a shaman, is part of two worlds.

The few devotees of the LotW enter into the wilderness and forsake the society of men, and their own humanity. Completely.

They become Beasts.

> >Our experiences help to ground it of course. Talk all you like about
> >surrendering to mystical oneness and the nobility of solitude,

I don't know about oneness.
When I hiked, I felt a sense of tranquility. An easy emptiness.

A forgetfulness.

> >but also remember the cold and damp that gets in your bones and just
> >won't go away, the insect bites, the way it *feels* to sleep on the ground,

If you do it for long enough; the cold and damp go away, the insects stop
biting you, and you learn where and how to sleep (and it feels better than
a feather bed, unless it rains too hard ... ).

> >Did I mention the way your companions all start to smell? And the longing
> >for decent toilet paper?
>
> This is very much where I'm coming from. Although after 4 weeks you
> can't smell your companions. Other people are a different matter.

When I hiked for eight weeks, I found that the smell of the city left me,
and since then, I've never quite been able to ignore it as I used to. Hell, I feel like I'm permanently choking.

In the wilderness you start to prefer natural smells to civilised ones.
Also, your sense of smell improves.
No, I could *definitely* smell my companions !!

> >I stumbled a little over the proper name 'Tara' for the Lady of the Wild,
>
> I tend to ignore the RW origion of names in G.

But that *isn't* her only name.

She only even *has* a name in non-Odaylan / non-LotW myths, anyway. (cottars attempting to civilise her) (and failing)

She doesn't have a singular representation, or a single name, even among the Heortlings. From a strictly theistic POV, she isn't a goddess,
but a certain kind of mythic figure that is centered around a loosely remembered quasi-Hsunchen All-/Animal- Mother.

The God Learners never *quite* managed to fit the LotW into their neat little schemes. She can't be tied down.

Some of the Heortlings call her Kero Fin, if you don't like 'Tara'.

> >> As mother /protector/
> >>hunter of all wild creatures she both provides the hunters' prey & preys
> >>apon them. The act of hunting brings a mortal into her domain more surely
> >>than any other.
>
> >So cult membership is part active worship and part surrender to a reality
> >too big to be ordered or controlled. And part cold opportunism.
>
> Bloody ay.

Yes.

Remember that old thing about 1 in 100 animals being endowed with intelleigence ? I believe that most of the LotW's devotees will be intelligent wild beasts. Probably the carniverous ones.

> >> Unlike the various domestic activities, herding, berrying
> >>etc, hunting is always part spirit quest & so hunters attract more of her
> >>attention. The various rituals involved with hunting are as often as not
> >>aimed at Tara with her son interceding on the part of the hunters.

You obviously refer to Odayla, but I gather that Orlanth is the son of Umath and the LotW, according to some myths (obviously not Heortling ones). Is Orlanth ever a Hunter god in your opinion ? (Umath obviously was)

> >>Any meeting with Tara is a mystical
> >>event, although Taran mystics have low life expectancies.

I don't think that they are Mystics keyword-wise.

But : am I wrong ? I could definitely see a case for them having physical
powers similar to those of physical mysticism. But maybe not. Hmmmm - -..

Julian Lord

> > ... a flying arrow, a crashing wave, night old ice,
> >a coiled snake, a bride's bed talk, a broken sword,
> >the play of bears, a king's son.
>
> From quiet homes & first beginnings
> Out to the undiscovered ends
> There's nothing worth the wear of winning
> But laughter & the love of friends.

If, evil one, you have come
from a forest demon's lair

    from hideouts of pine