Puma

From: Dom Twist <thazar_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:28:55 -0000

>So to sum up after that mess, I agree with Alex that a wild animal the size
>of a cougar running around the UK seems really unlikely. Why wouldn't
>it kill dogs and farm animals since that's more like what it normally eats.
>
>Oliver D. Bernuetz

It/They do!

There are pretty well documented cases of attacks on sheep, cattle and on one rather scary occasion Dogs and a Human (In this case woman and dogs out walking accidently cornered one and got cut up as it made its escape. I've see photo's of the bite and claw marks on the woman and we are not talking a small cat here!!). What I'm saying is there plenty of food for a small population. Probably under a dozen.

(Talking of wolf packs in the UK there has been some talk of re-introducing them. We have largeish numbers of wild boar loose in the UK and multiplying fast. Why not wolves? Of course a breeding pair did go missing in Scotland a few years back.....but in a place where population density is down to single figures per/100miles square so who knows?)

I've personaly seen any number of half eaten sheep carcesses in the Devon/Cornwall moors and woods. In the the flesh as it were. Many showed signs of Cat rather than dog predation.

The Millitary are currently up on the moor with night vision gear looking for...something.

Not terribly Gloranthan........but shadw cats are hard to find!

DomT