KoS "essential"?

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:37:01 +0100

Victor writes:

> I'm about to run a game set in Sartar and I was wondering if "King
> of Sartar" is an essential book to have or not. For someone that get
> only $7.00 a week, $20.00 is alot.

If you're on a really tight budget, I might recommend Tales #18 (the Greydog Campaign Special) instead.

KoS contains lots of good stuff, and is *excellent* background for the wider, longer and more heroic Dragon Pass environment, but you'd mostly be buying it for the Orlanthi Mythology and Report on the Orlanthi sections (IMO). You can pick up lots more mythology from e.g. the computer game "King of Dragon Pass" (if you have this), *and* do it in a more fun way, and the Report stuff is kinda dry compared to a ready-made campaign backdrop like the Greydog Clan.

Another good source would be Ye Booke of Tentacles #2 (lots of clan and tribal stuff), but I'm not sure what this sells for in the US.

Don't miss http://www.glorantha.com/library/dad/orlanthi.html and http://www.glorantha.com/library/priests/orlanth.html ("What My Father Told Me" and "Staves from the Storm Voice" - best ever RQ Sartarite background materials)

Also, nowadays the Hero Wars Heortling character generation material will be a good source of background info. It's available at www.glorantha.com

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick