Re: Thedquest

From: Andreas Mueller <mueller_at_faw.uni-ulm.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:59:34 +0200

Andrew E. Larsen:
> So, the faint groundwork is laid for a new myth of Orlanth
> punishing Ragnaglar.

Interesting new thread:
This goes straight to one of the major problems I always had with the heroquest-concept. Basically, this is a time warp with the heroquester changing history at a central place. It seems to be modelled the "Perception of Time"-Way. This means, only your history is changed, everybody elses history remains the same (There's a genius short story about an scientist detecting that his wife has an affair. He wants to kill her, but since he's a bit weird, he decides to do this by building a timemachine and changing history. At first he kills her grandparents in their youth, but when he comes back she still is there. Then he takes more drastic action and shows Madame Curie how to build an atomic bomb and makes her setting it off in Paris. Since he and his wife are living in Paris, he assumes this should be sufficient. But (you won't imagine) when he comes back, nothing has changed). Practically you can start your own subcult, who propagates the new truth. The problem with your new Orlanth-subcult is, that this way probably chaos wouldn't have infiltrated Glorantha, resulting in a gigantic change of history. Imagine initiates of this subcult radiating an aura of the time before the chaos-wars.
With the starting of a new subcult in mind, I asked at Tentacles 98 in the Heroquest-Panel, what would happen, if a Yelmalion would take an more intelligent approach to the hill of Gold, avoiding the ambush of Zorak Zoran and eventually defeating Zorak Zoran. The answer was (as far as I recall by Nick Brooke, MOB and Sandy) that a devout Yelmalion wouldn't want to take another course of action, since the traditional way would emphasize Yelmalios sense of responsibility (the main thing learned out of this quest for Yelmalions). And what would other Yelmalions think of an Yelmalion wielding the lost power? So the (for me unsatisfactory but nethertheless seemingly official) line is, that you deliberately reenact the mistakes your god made, to represent his personal development (Some Digests before, I read that Orlanth learned from this incident, that law shouldn't be applied by the letter, but on a case-to-case-basis). Everything else would be godlearnerish. One other thought: Should it be possible, that a non-Heroquester can profit from a heroquest, in which he has been integrated as the enemy? I think, only other heroquesters would be suitable opponents and should be encountered at another plane of existence. If they win, they can justified demand benefits from excelling at _their_ heroquest, including the start of the subcult. Non-heroquesters, IMO, shouldn't get the knowledge necessary to start a new subcult. Last but not least one question from me: Is rape in Glorantha considered chaotic or is it "just evil"? I think the first applies and had serious problems with an adventure in TotRM (first or second Prax Special) whose story relied upon Praxian Nomads raping an Orlanthi woman. While this is unfortunately part of real world warfare, I think this shouldn't be true in Glorantha.

Cheers,

Andreas