Thedquest

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:22:14 -0600

        A little bit ago I asked a question about a Thed HQ, and got some interesting replies. I thought the list might be interested in how the Thedquest played out in my campaign.

        My PCs went into Snakepipe Hollow, looking for an old temple of Thanatar which, unbeknowst to them had been occupied by a group of Uraini. Before they reached the temple, they encountered a sizable group of Broo being led by a Thed heroquester who had ritually castrated himself to reproduce Ragnaglar's wounding of Thed. The quester approached the Orlanthi in the group and demanded justice. The Orlanthi agreed to provide justice and asked what was demanded. The broo responded that it wanted all people to be vulnerable to rape as a means of exacting vengence on the Storm Tribe. Thinking quickly, the Orlanthi said that it was unjust to punish those who had not offended and said that he would track down Ragnaglar and punish him. Although this wasn't the answer 'Thed' wanted, it had to agree that it was reasonable, but demanded that it be done within a day, or else he would insist on his original demand.

        When the party encountered the Uraini, the Orlanthi realized that he could ritually scapegoat one of the Uraini in place of Ragnaglar, since Urain was a member of the Storm Tribe. This meant that they had to defeat, without killing, one of the Uraini (since that would make Orlanth a kinslayer). Having managed to incapacitate one of the Berserkers, the Orlanthi ritually condemned Ragnaglar and castrated him as a punishment.

        It wasn't a perfect solution to the problem, since theoretically 'Thed' should be able to insist on having her choice of vengeance, but I thought it was clever enough that I would allow it.

        So, the faint groundwork is laid for a new myth of Orlanth punishing Ragnaglar.

        Reactions?

Andrew E. Larsen