Orlanthi Initiation Ideas

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:11:59 +0100

I'm starting a new campaign tomorrow with fresh, Glorantha-virgin players. I'm planning to start off in Sartar with them playing Greydogs about five years older than the ones in the standard Greydog campaign. I don't plan to do the year-by-year, down and dirty low-level game but rather, after a couple of years quiet adventuring around Sartar, get them involved in Starbrow's rebellion and make their homeland too hot for them and force them to flee to Pavis where I can use Borderlands and all the other stuff I've got packed away.

But to start at the beginning I plan to have them go through initiation. I've downloaded Jane William's excellent ideas from her Marshedge campaign and I've got a few questions for people.

  1. I seem to recall there was a discussion a while back about splitting Orlanthi initiation into two groups. Some would follow the path of the Orlanthi who stayed behind and 'guarded the stead' (for which Jane's Second Son/Starheart initiation works well) and others would follow Orlanth to Hell and bring back the Sun. (For which I'll use the stuff from the Greydog playtest notes I've got unless someone can point me at anything better.) It was proposed, as I recall it, that there be different benefits from taking the different paths. Can anyone recall what they were?
  2. How many Elmali are left in Sartar in the 1600s? Are they mostly up north round Harvar Ironfist's domains or what?

Any other suggestions gratefully received. - --
Michael Cule