Rathori

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 22:48:20 +1200

Martin Laurie:

> >I do not believe the Rathori would fight [as Agincourt archers but]
> >as hit-and-run skirmishers [...].

>I'm not suggesting parade ground formations here. The Welsh archer certainly
>didn't do that, but they could draw and fire as a group and I see no reason
>why the Rathori could not do this.

Simply because the Rathori are still Hsunchen and view the formations of the civilized people as an act of madness that was invented by the Trickster. They do not have the tradition of standing fast as one people in the face of danger - if knights charge them, the steps they take are bloody great big ones to the nearest cover. I don't believe the Rathori even bother with fire arrows _en masse_ as it serves no useful purpose in their lifestyle.

>I concur that they would prefer hit and
>run to a degree but would contend that the Longbow is NOT the weapon to do
>this with. The tactical use of the longbow by the Rathori would seen to be a
>reaction to the heavy armour of their oft mounted foes in the Janube valley.

The Rathori Longbow was a gift from the Elves of Erigia after the Rathori graciously allowed them refuge within their woods. This dates it to the First or Second Wane whereas mounted foes have been in the Janube valley since the Dawn Ages.

The Rathori avoided mounted foes by retreating to the woods and bushwhacking them from there. The wide open spaces are not for them as they are an arboreal people.

>The bow has range and penetrative power.

So has a hunting rifle (compared to a bow). Which should indicate what I think a Rathori uses his bow most often for.

> >Secondly the Rathori have bad memories of Carmanian
> >brutality that precipitated the White Bear wars (and many
> >veterans of those wars are still alive thanks to the Ban).

>Sure, but given that we know that the Rathori are not one state or mind,
>There would be many who would not serve the Carmanians, but there would be
>those who would. Orlanthi have served the Lunar Empire, even after brutal
>conquest. I think that some clans of the Rathori probably have a long
>history of serving Sweet Sea states as mercenaries.

I don't think the Rathori have much utility as mercenaries considering their fighting habits. They are more useful as scouts or trackers.

Up to the formation of the White Bear Empire, they were the weakest of the Fronelan Hsunchen because of their sluggishness in the colder months. One could pacify them by making storm season raids to hunt them sleeping in their dens.

With the rise of the White Bear, people treated the Rathori with a lot more respect but the secrets of the White Bear were too sacred to be abused in fighting for strangers. Now with the recent death of the White Bear, they are back where they started. There are the Spear Secrets, but I think those have a hidden cost which is largely unknown.