Re: Heroquesting

From: Andreas Mueller <mueller_at_faw.uni-ulm.de>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 13:45:04 +0200

> From: Edward G McDonald <EGM_at_Trinity-Group.co.uk>
> If the PCs act in the manner in which their gods acted in the relevant myth,
> should they not benefit in some way? After all, they may not be
> Heroquesters, but they were incorporated into a heroquest (BTW would that
> mean that they are on the Heroplane?) and acting in it.

This one is getting to far into Monty Haul for my taste. If you give benefits for getting drawn into a HQ _without_being_a_heroquester_, what large benefits would be appropriate if you start a heroquest on your own?
I'd take another approach: If you don't act like your god did, you're getting problems. For instance you're thrown out of the heroplane when you're trying to act another way and you're leaving the known path (as experienced often enough in KoDP), you could be detected as heretic/sinner by the priests, dreams demand recompensation for you thinking to be smarter than your god and things like these. Some HeroQuest-Rules emphasized free will as a method to alter your way on the HeroPlane. To me, this means that only the strongest willed individuals after careful preparation on their own heroquest could choose another path, not somebody who is incorporated by chance. Is there an official POV to the percentage of Heroquests done to reenact and Heroquests done to alter the myths? This would be interesting to know and would be a major point to this discussion. If KoDP is an example in any way, you're only reenacting the known paths. This limits the role/freedom of action of everybody drawn into a HQ in such a way, that it's probably better, not to incorporate your PCs into anybodys HQ. One other thought: It shouldn't be hard to find your opponents on the heroplane anyway, because the reenactors during the holy ceremonies could fill these role in a far more appropriate way. These are ritually obliged to act the right way and their number is great enough to make it extremly unlikely that a group of PCs is drawn into anybodys heroquest by chance.

Just my thoughts, hope I'm getting it right.

Andreas