Re: Heroquesting

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:36:54 -0700

Andrew Larsen asked

>Since its possible for people to get drawn into someone else's
>heroquest without wanting to be there, what happens when a hostile 'player'
>in a quest refuses to go along with the script? For example, let's say a
>Humakti is doing the Humakti quest from KoDP and draws in a rival in the
>role of Orlanth. In order for that quest to succeed, Orlanth has a lot of
>'dialog' that he needs to speak to get Humakt to make the right progression
>in the quest. What happens if the Orlanthi refuses to say his lines? What
>happens if he just agrees to let Humakt have Death? Does the quester 'win
>an easy victory' or does the quest go bad?

If the Orlanthi doesn't act like Orlanth, he's going to lose some of his ability to identify with Orlanth...

I don't think the speaking of the right lines matters much. Overall conformance to the myth matters.

Also, this is between basically friendly deities -- the Orlanthi might not be involuntary, he might be doing his own "reconciliation with the weaponthanes" quest.

Philip Hibbs asked

>Where does the general principle of "seven different deities makes
>HeroQuesting easier" come from? Was this invented for KoDP, or is it a
>well-established Gloranthan principle?

King of Dragon Pass is a licensed Hero Wars product... However, note that it's concerned about affairs at the clan level -- the principle relates to having a clan ring with 7 different deities, not to the seven questers involved.

It certainly matches what we know about the standard types of Heortling rings, i.e. that there's no duplication. Presumably this is for a reason.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein