BB Gor and Gor Gor Mah

From: Hughes, John (NAT) <"Hughes,>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:21:08 +1000

Heys folks

BB GOR AND GOR GOR MA Andrew asked about the difference between BB Gor and GG Ma. In addition to the fine comments already made, I'd also focus on the political dimension.

>From the Entekosiad, we know that Ma's mythical roles include that of Yelm's
shadow, she is the place that Yelm cannot look, the thing that Yelm cannot be. Maha Gor Gor is a subversive goddess who acts as a counter to excessive authority and power in all its forms. Politically, in Darra Happa and Peloria, her cult by necessity is secretive and not part of the political hierarchy, except in ritual roles as the Other.

By contrast, BB's cult is integrated into the heart of Orlanthi society. Though in some respects equally marginal, BB cultists have the ear of the womens' circle and Earth temple, and act as their agents and defenders.

It is Lunar strategy to encourage BB Gori in Sartar to join Gorgorma's cult as an alternative to exile. This indicates (to the Lunar mind at least) a certain structural and mythological similarity. More in Thunder Rebels.

John