Re: Joans of Arc

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 17:19:36 EDT

Frederic Ferro:

<< There are amazons in Teshnos and Vingans in heortling cultures (and I
suppose Gunda's mother, the "Valkyrie" was a member of one of these cultures)>>

     Gunda's mum was probably a Yggite, and thus Orlanthi but not Heortling. I don't think its ever been stated whether or not the Yggites worship Vinga, although they obviously have female warriors, so they must at least have a similar deity.

<< but do we know any female knights in the West like Bradamante in Orlando
Furioso or Britomart in the Faerie Queen? Could Hrestolis or Rokaris tolerate female saint-warriors like Joan of Arc?>>

     The Rokari wouldn't, IMO, being sexist buggers from our 21C viewpoint. I'm pretty sure that the Loskalmi would, although on previous Digest discussions there have been differences of opinion as to how common female knights are in Loskalm - I'm all for making them as common as Vingans in Sartar, but that may not be compatible with existing Loskalm info. OTOH, I don't know of any specific examples in the official material (although there was a similar character in the How The West Was One LARP).

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky