Talor and Early Loskalm

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 00:13:45 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Me> Given that I've never seen this interpretation before, it's a bit
> > much to accuse me of trying to jettison it.

>Like quite a few other well-rounded interpretations, these have floated
>on and off the digest during the height of the RuneQuest Renaissance.

Still doesn't justify accusations of trying to jettison it, does it?

>There is a great wealth of (yet) unprinted material from that time, well
>worth digging up.

I'm sorry but I have better things to do with my time. Dig them up yourself.

>Arkat was the great adversary of Talor in his fight against the Bright
>Empire.

He was?

>AFAIK, Gerlant does get some small coverage in Akem.

To wit, a small city square inhabited by exiled Seshnegi nobles. Not much evidence for Gerlant having had a major influence in Talor's battles.

>I don't know how
>much he interacted with Talor before the fall of Dorastor,

Then how do you know that Arkat was the great rival of Talor in his fight against Dorastor? Or perhaps you forgot to state that the above was your interpretation?

> > [Gbaji] is light despite your scheme and another prominent
> > light god on the enemy side would be the Sun (halted
> > famously at the Sunstop).

>Gbaji is at least "The World is in Darkness" in terms of Harmast's
>Lightbringer's Quest, which returns Talor as embodiment of the Light
>from Hell (which he may have found behind the Gates of Banir).

But neither Harmast nor his people are early Loskalmi.

> > So I do not see how the early Loskalmi can portray Talor's
> > struggle as a War between Light and Darkness.

>The Bright Empire was revealed as masking the Greater Darkness of the
>Gods War - the ultimate foe, Chaos.

The Gods War? In Malkioni myth? I would have thought that was the Ice Age.

>This much of Heortling Lightbringer
>myth may well have rubbed off on Talor, who apparently led a following
>of Orlanthi to Oranor after witnessing the battle in the City of
>Miracles.

Or the Orlanthi of Oranor could have been there much earlier like around about the time of the Sunstop perhaps?

>NB>>Talor offers a template for struggles of Light (T) vs. Dark (A),

> > But he never struggled against Arkat.

>They never met on opposite sides on the battlefield, but there is a
>reason why Harmast brought back Talor to right the mistake he made with
>returning Arkat.

That's Harmast's reasons which are not necessarily _Talor's_ reasons. Harmast never set off with the explicit intention of bringing back Arkat so there's even less reason that he set off to recover the alleged great rival of Arkat the second time around.

>I suppose they had at least a rivalry about who would face Gbaji in the
>final combat.

I don't see Talor wanting to fight Gbaji as he (in what little is recorded of him) is not mentioned as calling his ultimate foe "damned liar" at every opportunity.

>IMO Talor disagreed with Arkat's methods in
>fighting Gbaji as much as Harmast did.

Talor never really has a chance to observe Arkat in action or vice versa.

> > A more serious nitpick is that I do not believe there
> > to be such a thing as the Talorian church. IMO, I think
> > there were a whole bunch of likeminded Loskalmi states
> > each with their own distinct traditions, churches, caste
> > laws, forms of government and so forth.

>Likeminded state churches using a common doctrine was all 6th and 7th
>century christianity held in common.

I _can_ chose to disregard that parallel, can I not?

>If Talor
>bestowed any religious teachings (IMO most likely through a literate
>followers biography), they are bound to be a main influence in Fronela.
>I see a great chance that his Lightbringer experiences would figure in
>this experience.

But Talor need not have seen his meeting with Harmast in Lightbringer terms.