Rathori raiding CharUn

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 00:41:36 +1200

Steve Lieb:

>Me> But horses aren't kept in yurts, are they? And if they run away,
> > then the Rathori can fire into the herd and expect to hit a couple.

>OK, so they kill a horse or two (unlikely to kill them, but let's assume).
>Then what? They have a half-ton of horseflesh lying on the ground a long
>way from the forest?

I don't know. Perhaps they happen to use the same method that RW hunters use in taking large game back to their camps?

> > The CharUn have a higher
> > technology than the Rathori as can be seen in their clothing
> > (worked leather and crude hides). Hence CharUn leather goods will
> > have value in Rathori society.

>I'm dubious - even the lowest tech RW societies can work and tan leather.

Never said they didn't. What I did say (and please pay attention this time around, I am getting fed up with your constant misstatements of what I said to wit: fire arrows, mounted Rathori etc) was that the CharUn leather goods were _better_.

> > The
> > Pentans will have similar living arrangements and thus to suggest
> > the Pentans can toss everything and ride away at all times is just
> > plain silly.

>And sillier still to think that ANYTHING a raider could want (with the
>caveat about metal goods, in the point you made above) and reasonably get
>away with isn't mobile?

No. To assume that the CharUn will be able to pack away everything mobile within a short time is silly. Especially if you have various things scattered about the camp. Even the CharUn will have problems in remembering where they left their car keys.

>If it takes the Char Un time to pack up and move
>this "valuable stuff" what ever it may be, wouldn't it take the Rathori at
>least thrice as long?

Possibly because the Rathori do not want to cart everything away but are just take what they can carry?

> > The CharUn horses are not in the same position
> > as they are bred for things meat food, milk, draft and carriage.
> > Under such circumstances, you will tend to get a diversification of
> > specialized types just like you do for _cattle_.

>Why? If doing such specific breeding would make the horses LESS generally
>useful, why would they bother?

The same argument could be made of cattle.

>and AFAIK the Mongols never did anything as silly as breed OUT the general
>utility of their horseflesh as a riding beast?

But the Mongols weren't herding only horses which the CharUn _do_.

>And in any case, now we're postulating that "Gloranthan Horses" are somehow
>essentially different than RW types? That there are "milk horses", "meat
>horses", "draft horses" and "riding horses" and they are not 99% identical?

Do you consider different domesticated cow species "not 99% identical"? If not, then why are you wasting my time with spurious strawmen?