Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #539

From: Graham J Robinson <gjr_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:45:13 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe wrote :

>>This kind of misses the point I was making. Peter keeps stating that Yurts
>>take hours to pack up
>
>Flatly untrue.

If you are agreeing that a yurt can be quickly packed up, with its whole contents, making running away a viable option, then I apologise for my mistake. However, this is not the impression I got of your position.

>I even stated my position by pointing out that
>the Pentans would have two types of tents like the Praxians
>do. Your response: "so what?". But since you believe that Yurts
>can be easily tossed onto the back of a horse amongst other
>silly things, your inability to understand what was written
>is really of no surprise.

Nope - you described Praxians two tents to which I said "So what?" The fact that a different culture is described as being relatively settled is irrelevant to the culture under discussion. You then went on to say that the Pentans are similar. To which I have said :

  1. Not in my Glorantha
  2. In which case they don't live in yurts.

If you are going to accuse me of not reading, try getting your own facts straight.

As for "my silly belief" that yurts can be easily thrown on the back of a horse... Well, bar the obvious dismantling that needs done, they are DESIGNED to be exactly that. Every source from tribes that still live in yurts to historical documents confirms this. Try reading "The Golden History" or similar.

Anyway, now that this is getting unneccessarily personal, I will not respond to any further flame bait. If you really wish, we can take this to e-mail. But given that all I have ever disagreed with was your terminology, I fail to see why I should put up with your abuse.

Graham

"I may be dead, but I'm still pretty."

        Buffy