Re: Perceptions of other gods

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_viewgate.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:42:26 +0100

Peter Metcalfe:

>>>Malkioni: There is no God but God and Malkion is his prophet.
>>>Pagans and apostates worship the False Gods for magic, and their
>>>error will lead them to an evil end.

<me>Ok. But these False Gods still work, so they can't be altogether false.

>But they work solely on the basis of destroying one's ability
>to know God.

Ok, it's just this one I don't fully understand.

The Malkioni accepts that there is another source of magic available, which works, but which derives from other gods.

Now what I'm trying to get at is that my undestanding of 'blasphemous' is that you think that there are no other gods, whereas if you accept that other gods exist then this strays into the realm of theism and it's my god vs your god.

So I suppose my question is, does the Malkioni think false gods are 'gods', but wrong/evil ones, or does he think false gods are not 'gods' but only appear to be gods to the foolhardy (blasphemous) people who are nevertheless (how?) able to derive magic from them?

Richard