Heortland and Aeolians

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:56:36 +1200

Lowell A. Francis

>I'm unsure how to portray/describe to my players the
>relationship between the Orlanthi array peoples in Heortland and the
>Aeolian Church. (In the case of my game I'm working post-Rokari rise and
>fall in Heortland). How do they interact?

Given your specified timeframe, there is no one way in which the two will react. Heortland is still simmering from a vicious civil war that has only been suppressed by the Lunar Empire and the Aeolians were right in the middle of it.

People will be highly suspicious of you if you claim to be an Aeolian until you give some indication of where your political loyalties lie (i.e. Lunar, Seshnegi, Broyan). Then they will reveal their own loyalties and decide what to do with you (ranging from a feteing to a beating or a lynching).

>What might be a guess about the ratio between such worshippers?

The best information comes from an old different worlds which informs us that 15% of the population is other (as opposed to 85% Orlanthi). Not all of the 15% will be Aeolian but my belief is that the majority of them are.

>I understand that the Aeolian Church is
>centered around the cities, but how is the authority of the various
>lairds and shires called upon to more traditional Orlanthi.

A moot question under Lunar Military Occupation. Traditional allegiances have been broken, traditional leaders killed or expelled and now authority tends to be awarded to whomever can suck up to the Lunars the best.

>How much are they united behind an idea of Heortland?

All Aeolians believe in Heortland. They just have bitter arguments about what type of Heortland they want.