Keiths second Emperor post

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:02:45 EDT

>In a funny way I am in favour of the "official" version because, if I were
>run a Lunar Succession War scenario it might be useful for the players to be
>convinced that there really is only one true Red Cheese (because they might
>have read all the official stuff). As it dawned on them (gradually) that
>there might be different versions

Or a LOT more complexity to the whole thing. However, the SGU book is a players book and while I want to go into some depth we can't spend too much time on the politics. After all, to write a decent work on Imperial politics would take a work as large as some tomes on Byzantium or the late Principate.  We simply haven't the space. I hope to give some idea of _possibilities_ in Imperial politics but it will likely be later works (fingers crossed) that provide that in any depth.

>of the Red Bloke, perhaps with different Egi in their faces, then it might
>all be rather interesting.

The players can be Egi eventually and they can interact with them once of a sufficient height of power but as they rise it will become clear that what they thought was a saintly collection of power: the Egi and the high nobility, is just as faction ridden and paroachial as anyone else.

>Having said that, I do feel sympathy for Martin because it is difficult to
>write anything that does not contradict something.

Thanks. I'm trying not to and am trying to explain it when I do in a public forum so that everyone can have their say on what we're doing. This also helps me in my writing as I can find out what people like and try to fit things in around them.

>Although it is almost
>directly relevant to my current (dormant) campaign - now in the throes of
>Jannisor's Rebellion,

Interesting period.

>I am sure that I will make up, and change, my mind
>as/if stuff happens. Martin's pleas that Gloranthas may vary are valid, and
>more importantly perhaps, his descriptions of Egi Quests sounds quite
>exciting.

The Empire is a fascinating place to play at all levels. It can be fertile ground for a low level game in city or field, graduating all the way to the lofty heights of the Moon Blessed themselves.

>(is it just me or do others always associate Egi with Scambled Egi on Toast,
>Boiled Egi with Hoplite, Egi Bread, and Fried Egi, Egi on Face, Chicken
>before the Egi.....

Or quarter Egis with cheese?

Martin Laurie