Re: Imperial Succession

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:36:17 EDT

Martin Laurie:

<< Yes. There are other reasons too. You have to remember that many of the higher ups in the Empire are heroes or deities in their _own right_ which creates the problem of many of them thinking they could do a better job, which is why Argenteus gets offed. >>

> Not really much of an 'other' reason, IMO,

 Really? Bloody hell! This is a major reason IMO. >>

     No, I mean, I don't see that it's any different from the reason I already gave. Of course its a major one, or I wouldn't have mentioned it myself, would I?

<< >The plebs wouldn't know, but that's not what I'm getting at.

 The "plebs" is pretty much everyone. That is a lot of people.>>

     Yeah, but not the ones who matter here. I want people to sincerely believe they can be (part of) the new Emperor, not have (all of) them know they're just usurpers. That's what makes it interesting.

 << > And the argument 'but hang on, mate, I know you and you've had a previous
>life, so you can't possibly be the Red Emperor' wouldn't hold any sway? If
>not, why not?

 Sure it would but who is going to know this? The vast majority of folk would not know. >>

     You'd think it would be fairly obvious, at least to all those who actually have a say in influencing events.

<< Anyway, they could always just _lie_.>>

     But not convincingly.

<< How many pretenders to the throne existed in the RW? Loads and some did rather
 well.>>

     But they didn't have the disadvantage of having to prove they never existed before last week. Its not as if the kind of people capable of pulling off the imposture in other respects are going to be obscure people that nobody in power has heard of.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky