Red Flags

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:58:48 +0100

Nick asks:

> Can anyone suggest the best source for information on Lunar standards
> please? I was thinking Tarsh War or possibly TORM?

Well, if you're willing to read some of that disgusting, inaccurate (hawk, spit) *fan*-published stuff, that'd be in the Granite Phalanx cult writeup (Tales #12, p.28 - Mythos and History, and The Cult in the World) for some of the physical characteristics of regimental standards, and the black box at the start of "Tarsh War" (p.8) for strategic implications of the new Lunar vexilla. Both are by Chris Gidlow.

The lyrics to "The Red Vexillum", of course, are at:

        http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/Songbook/redflag.htm

A Red Vexillum is a Lunar standard which is not attached to a particular regiment, but rather serves as the focus for a force built of detachments from other units. They're a Yanafali creation, and allow the Lunar army more flexibility than prior forces enjoyed, in that they allow the deployment of different troop types in sub-regimental formations.

Greg Stafford liked Chris's invention of the Red Vexilla so much (at the time) that he intended to make them a core mechanic for the proposed "Stratelibi" Gloranthan miniatures rules. On past form, this means that you would be most unwise to use anything like them in your Gloranthan gaming, as Greg has had *years* to change his mind about them since. Best do nothing at all. Wait for Greg to speak his brain. And even then, don't trust him.

Finally, rest assured that all of this published material about standards will be deliberately ignored and/or contradicted (just for the hell of it: "if it ain't broke, break it anyway") in any new publications written by Martin Laurie. Given this, I suggest you wait for the Official Version, which should be along any year now: surely your games can wait just a *little* bit longer...

(Yes, I'm annoyed). (Yes, he's annoying). (No, I don't know why).

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick