Specific Sources

From: Andreas Mueller <mueller_at_faw.uni-ulm.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:19:25 +0200

Graham:
> Actually, as a GM having published sources that aren't too specific is
> even nicer...

Sorry, Graham, but I do disagree. The speculating stuff has a far to big percentage until now, IMO. I always have been puzzled by missing or ambigous facts, which I seemingly always tend to misunderstand. It's cool to speculate on this list what could be the truth, but a new player to Glorantha needs hard and fast facts (and I'd prefer them too, lacking time to speculate and search for cross-references). This brings me to another point: Glorantha is already very far away from the normal fantasy-clichee; my (very experienced) players always say "That's strange ...", "That's peculiar ...", "That's unrealistic ...". If this would induce the longed for sense of wonder, this would be great. But I have problems to "sell" Glorantha due to this peculiarities. Clichees may be boring, but they help very much by the transition to a world in your imagination, since they are imagined very easy. If everything is new and surprising, you have to spend much more time to understand it, to relate it to the players and they have a harder time to imagine it. That is also the reason, why I insist on drawing at least some paralells to the RW. To come back to the original topic: I'm buying supplements to get new facts ready to play, so I don't have to speculate myself and try to get a convincing line. If supplements contain only stuff as basis for further speculations, then I can't use them, since I don't have the time to make it up all myself. Speculation on some peculiar off-topic is all right, but something as central as the political system of the Lunars should be clearly stated and not subject to speculation! Hope I'm not standing alone with that opinion (But on a list of enthusiastic fans, this would be no surprise to me).

cu

Andreas