GAGging on canon

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_nvg.ntnu.no>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:58:08 +0200 (CEST)

This debate was bound to happen. There hasn't been an 'official' publication for Glorantha in years, but now that something is comming toes are bound to be stepped on. This is the price of official publication. Heck, it is the price of putting pen to paper!

Personally I read the Reaching Moon material about the Empire and go 'cool!', then I read what Martin writes and go 'hey, thats cool too!'

Lets face it. When something is published words must be chosen, phrases must be selected. As long as a text isn't a simple copy of previous works it will have different implications, different limits of meaning. But this is what a sourcebook is all about. It is its reason of being. Official publications exist to give answers, draw up limits and to focus a concept. Fan publications exist to break those limits and suggest other views.

So while I cherish what Reaching Moon megacorp has published, it must never be valued so much that it gets in the way for new stuff, and new perspectives. In the same way that official material should never be taken so seriously that the fans can't piss on it, change it, or simply disagree with it. This is after all the reason of being for fan publications. Both are needed, and both survive on their own merits of MGF.

> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 00:55:59 +0200
> From: "Christoph Kohring" <ChOK_at_bluewin.ch>
> Subject: Rewriting History
>
> To conclude:
>
> - - thank you Greg Stafford for everything
> - - thank you MOB for Sun County & all the rest
> - - thank you Martin & Wesley for letting us take a part in the creative
> process of SGU on the list (what about putting the cult write-up of
> Yelmalio in Dara Happa in the book?!! ;)
> - - thank you David Hall, Nick Brooke, Rick Meints & all the other
> contributors to TotRM
> - - thank you to all the other fanzines contributors
> - - thank you to all the glorantha webmasters
> - - thank you mom (!)
> - - thank you to all those I missed & especially to Sandy Petersen

A BIG amen to that!

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen