RE, God Leaners, Ultimate Truth, Operational Definitions

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:03:43 +0100

Perhaps Martin could clarify. Will SGU describe the Lunar Empire, its cults and the Red Emperor as they REALLY ARE, or will it be in the form of descriptions or beliefs held by Gloranthans themselves?

My understanding was that Glorantha has moved from the first mode to the second mode. If SGU is to be in the second mode, then we can take whatever we consider to be naff retcons as Imperial Spin, as MOB suggests.

However, if SGU is in the first mode, we seem to be regressing to RQ2 God Learner stuff. Strange.

How do the Lunars IN PRACTICE determine whether a claimant IS the real Red Emperor? If the RE really is a singular ever reincarnating being, but there is no practical way to distinguish him from a succession of usurpers, it seems that SGU will insist on a distinction without a difference.

If the truth always comes out, what possible advantage is there in trying to usurp the throne? What happens to usurpers when the REAL RE comes along? Lunar hells are reportedly very unpleasant, so why go to the trouble?

Can a Mask be absorbed by anyone other than the REAL RE? If so, what is the effective difference between someone who has absorbed 99% of the Masks and the 'real' RE, who is left with only 1% of the RE? If not, there is an infallible RE test. If someone had absorbed 99% of the Masks, how could they tell that they were not the 'real' RE? How could anyone else? Is there some essential identifying characteristic that resides in the remaining 1%. What is it? How could someone determine its presence?