Re: RE, God Leaners, Ultimate Truth, Operational Definitions

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:11:04 +0100 (BST)

Benedict Adamson:
> How do the Lunars IN PRACTICE determine whether a claimant IS the
> real Red Emperor? If the RE really is a singular ever reincarnating
> being, but there is no practical way to distinguish him from a
> succession of usurpers, it seems that SGU will insist on a
> distinction without a difference.

Concisely put. All we know from Martin at this point is that the Tales stuff is 'wrong', because the RE is 'singular'. Martin hasn't really addressed the counter-points I've been making (indeed, mostly this thread has been about what a shit Martin is to be making 'changes', and/or what a great guy he is to be having this 'debate' at all, as opposed to any substantiative issues, frankly), that this in itself tells us almost nothing, and certainly nothing useful.

So once again I ask, in what sense is the RE 'singular', how exactly does this contradict the Tales material, and what funky _practical_, _observable_ consequences ensue from same? And if we're going to indulge in philosophy, can we at least be viewpoint-specific? For example, surely the Dara Happan take on such matters would focus on re-assembling his six (seven) Parts, a la Yelm, rather than an ipso facto 'singularity' as such...

Personally I think that continuity of, or come to that the existence and nature of, individual consciousness is such a 'deep' topic that trying to give 'God's telephone number' answers to it is a highly dubious approach. Anyone doubting this, and who believes that have a clear understanding of what 'consciousness' really is, I'd recommend that they read some philosophy, brain biochemistry, Buddhist, and quantum electro-dynamics texts until they don't...

Cheers,
Alex.