Vexilla

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:55:06 EDT

Nick:
>A Red Vexillum is a Lunar standard which is not attached to a particular
>regiment, but rather serves as the focus for a force built of detachments
>from other units. They're a Yanafali creation, and allow the Lunar army more
>flexibility than prior forces enjoyed, in that they allow the deployment of
>different troop types in sub-regimental formations.

This is completely wrong

Just kidding, had you going there for e second though, didn't I? :)

This is completely correct IMO and is definately part of any write up I'm doing on the Imperial military.

>Greg Stafford liked Chris's invention of the Red Vexilla so much (at the
>time) that he intended to make them a core mechanic for the proposed
>"Stratelibi" Gloranthan miniatures rules.

It works well, even the use of the latin word works well as much of the later Roman field forces were composed of vexillations from frontier legions. Very apt. Bravo Chris.

>On past form, this means that you would be most unwise to use anything like
them >in your Gloranthan gaming, as Greg has had *years* to change his mind about >them since. Best do nothing at all. Wait for Greg to speak his brain. And even >then, don't trust him.

Are you trying to say something Nick? You really should be more forward.

>Finally, rest assured that all of this published material about standards
>will be deliberately ignored and/or contradicted (just for the hell of it:
>"if it ain't broke, break it anyway") in any new publications written by
>Martin Laurie.

I did brake it, I did fiddle with it and I did put the pieces back together and do you know what? I liked it as much after thinking on it as I did on first glance. If I hadn't liked it after analysis, you can bet your boots I would have changed it or tried to.

>Given this, I suggest you wait for the Official Version,
>which should be along any year now: surely your games can wait just a
>*little* bit longer...

Cynicism isn't becoming you know

>(Yes, I'm annoyed).

Really? You should show it more.

>(Yes, he's annoying).

Thanks!

>(No, I don't know why).

Its because I say things you don't want to hear and disagree with you. You piss me off for the same reason. Great isn't it?

Martin Laurie