Poison

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_mail.bol.bg>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:06:45 +0200

Andreas Mueller asked:
> that a dose of POT 15 poison for 20 swords or more than two horses
> or a 4-Point-Enchantment is a very bad deal. I had the impression,
> that poisons are not wanted in Glorantha.
Alternatively, the *customers* aren't wanted in Glorantha, even among Lanbril (though the price for cultists seems a bit high in any case). Lanbrils are thieves, of course, and so such robbery seems natural.

I'd personally, at RQ2 prices, guess the cost IMG would be around 1,000 - - 2,000 for Lambrili, and yeah, 10,000 for adventurers walking off the street and saying "Hey, got any poison?" ;)

> Can anybody tell me more realistic prizes for poisons, are they
> banned, what are the fines for being caught with one and so on.
I'd personally suggest that "fantasy" poisons (the ones where you use it, the victim says "Argh!" and Falls over Dead instantly) are pretty rare in civilized areas, as in the RW, and often are pretty expensive. Why should the assassins and thieves give up their secret magics except for a pretty penny? And as you suggest, it means *everyone* is going to use them.

Your characters have a better (and cheaper) bet of finding the odd poison that is used on rats, animals, etc. ("Lootit this! Agrestis plotted to *poison the cows* with this rat poison!" Gasps of horror)

The easiest solution is to probably go to one of the sources, or cultures that use the stuff extensively. Gorakiki worshippers or Aranea cultists probably sell the stuff dirt cheap ("This POT 25 spider venom for *three* pinwheels? You got a deal!"), and are probably more willing to sell it than thieves or assassins (they got lots, and they're immune to it through their worship of the gods, IMO). Of course, you have to *find* some first, and convince them not to kill you.

Any worshippers of other poisonous critters probably have it, too, though any others don't come to mind. Krolar, I guess. Can't think of any snake goddesses. Chaos deities, perhaps. Or most troll alcohols. Possibly chemicals used by the rare LM or IO alchemist.

A Different if Related Approach:
Why bother with poisons? He's a lunar -- the players should've just stuffed something that looks chaotic in his gear and called the locals in. It'll take 'em a couple days to ask the clan ancestors / do a divination / let the Uroxi kill him after saying, "Oh, yeah, we detect chaos in the Lunar, all right," and by that time he's disqualified.

Hope this vaguely helps,

james Frusetta

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #584