Clarity

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:54:26 EDT

Benedict asks:
>Perhaps Martin could clarify. Will SGU describe the Lunar Empire, its
>cults and the Red Emperor as they REALLY ARE, or will it be in the
>form of descriptions or beliefs held by Gloranthans themselves?

The style of the book is player centered. The cults are written in relatively short form but give enough info to make them playable, the tone is more objective because we don't have the space to give a more subjective slant, which tends to take up more words than a simple explanation of the gods myths, their affinities and their place in the Empire.

Some parts of the book are more subjective, to give tone to the players. For example, we try to emphasise the superiority of the Empire over other cultures and the smug sense of self importance Imperial citizens share.

The sections on Govt, military, economy etc will also be more objective than subjective. ie they will be direct truth rather than smoke screening. These sections are very small, a couple of thousand words at most, so we try to impart as many facts about the Empire as possible.

The cultural sections hold more on what the people believe about themselves and others to add colour.

>My understanding was that Glorantha has moved from the first mode to
>the second mode.

Not really. Gregs volumes did, but as MOB pointed out, they are largely unplayable because they are Gloranthan documents, not game suppliments. We're doing a suppliment.

>If SGU is to be in the second mode, then we can take
>whatever we consider to be naff retcons as Imperial Spin, as MOB
>suggests.

There are no whopping essays on the Emperor. I can at best devote 2000 words to him, which will pretty much be taken up just on describing him slightly. There wil be plenty of room for interpretation.

Besides, that bit isn't written in full yet, which is why I'm bringing it up on the digest to see what everyone thinks before I write it.

>However, if SGU is in the first mode, we seem to be regressing to RQ2
>God Learner stuff. Strange.

Monomyth you mean? I think published sources should attempt to steer a path between the two.

>How do the Lunars IN PRACTICE determine whether a claimant IS the
>real Red Emperor?

He proves it by might. By strength. Strength in intrigue, heroquesting, military power, political power, personal power, prestige and popularity. To be Red Emperor you have to have so many facets, that he is of course the right one, if he does all that. Maybe.

To steal from Clausewitz - "Succession is a continuation of state policy by other means"

>If the RE really is a singular ever reincarnating
>being, but there is no practical way to distinguish him from a
>succession of usurpers, it seems that SGU will insist on a
>distinction without a difference.

The difference would be, that he is not a different guy every time.

Now practically this may make no difference but it is very important theologically to the Lunars.

Christians spent forever arguing over the trinity or whether Jesus was a man and god or just god etc etc. They fought wars over this and burnt a lot of people. Yet the practical aspects of it seem odd to outsiders of that faith.  Why fight over whether Jesus is dual or singular, surely the _practical_ aspects of venerating him are the same?

In some senses I'm ambivalent about the whole issue. In one sense I find myself agreeing with some comments that an Emperor who is a human who becomes Emperor is more MGF and generally interesting. On the other, I find that answer too unmagical and somewhat unsatisfying. It might be more interesting in game play, but it doesn't seem right theologically and this niggles at me.

Gregs comments about him having many bodies is certainly evocative. I feel there might be an answer there somewhere.

Will continue thinking about it. Ideas and comments would be welcome.

Martin Laurie