Re: Clarity

From: Graham J Robinson <gjr_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 10:00:05 +0100 (BST)

Andreas wrote :
>Graham replied:
>> On the other hand, cast in stone, it happens this way and can't happen any
>> other way comments on how the red emperor reincarnates are (a) irrelevant
>> to most games (b) get in the way when you have a different idea you want
>> to try.
>I'm thinking (a) and (b) is not true.
>(a) I can't imagine something more central to a nation than the process
>to get a new ruler.
>(b) Nothing ever published can get in your way, if you don't adapt it
>for your game.

(a) I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Yes, a new ruler will make a difference to many games - somewhere between none at all and an awful lot. BUT the process by which this is done is likely to be irrelevant - how many of us are running campaigns where the players are ever going to be directly involved in the actual succession. Most likely it is going to be a bit of background thrown in by the GM, or at most an explaination for why such and such an NPC has been doing something weird/given them that job/whatever.
(b) Of course I can ignore it, but if the players are the sort who read the background and argue with you when you do something that contradicts whats in the book, you have problems. Not that my current players (bless their little cotton socks) are like that at all, but I have seen it done. Making to many definate statements of the "it must happen this way" kind encourages such behaviour.

Basically, I would like to see rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty surrounding all the non-day to day stuff in Glorantha. Use of the words "normally", "probably" and "it is believed" is all I ask for.

Graham

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish."

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #603