Re: Can you read GROY? B5 & Retcon et al

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 01:03:43 +0100 (BST)

"Danny Mr" <ad236_at_dial.pipex.com>
> Cop out on Greg's part.

That seems more than a little unfair. I for one am an advocate of ambiguity, ambiguity, and more ambiguity...

In short, I'm in favour of all the description that we can get, but excess prescription, much less out and out proscription, is likely to annoy more than it helps. If I'm told 'this is what has happened when such and such a Mask was created', then I'm likely to cry 'ah, cool!', and my little mind starts to whirr. (Whether this info is 'objective' or specifically from a certain perspective.) If I'm told 'this is precisely the only thing that ever happens, my reaction my be more akin to 'Oh.'...

In short, I don't want to be presented with something that's so specific that it's seen to be limiting, either in fact, or in feel. Not that I think that's a significant danger, but you wouldn't necessary be assured of that from much of the discussion here!

Cheers,
Alex.