Re: "The real engine of war..."

From: Graham J Robinson <gjr_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:57:18 +0100 (BST)

This is getting wildly off topic, but that never seems to stop us...

>> The real engine for war never was religion, ever was human greed!
>
>Yeah, sure... Come on, Gian, that's bullshit ! Was Alexander the Great
>greedy ? Were Julius Caesar, William the Conqueror, Napoleon, Lenin, Hitler
>& Stalin greedy ?!?

Yes - they all went to excessive lengths to gain personal power and hold on to it. Whether they were greedy for more tangible rewards seems hardly relevant. True some of them did have some more altruistic tendencies - Napoleon and the Soviets both improved the education systems, for example - - but basically they were motivated by a basic lust for power. That comes under the heading of greed in my book.

If Gian has a fault here its that the statement is so vague as to be meaningless.

> I doubt it, especially the last three who led ascetic
>lifes.

Not being an expert on Lenin and Stalin, I'll not comment on their personal lives, but given Hitler was noted as a collector and consumer of fine wines and fine art, the 'asthetic' defence seems bogus to me.

Graham

well-adjusted, adj:
 The ability to play bridge or golf as if they were games.

        Fortune, courtesy of Gareth Roy