Chaos Monks

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:19:09 +1200

James Frusetta:

>Plus the Sovs did have a heck of a lot of weird peoples under "one roof"
>considering they were a contiguous empire, like the Lunars, and also
>like the Lunars they tended to stress how each people ruled themselves
>(to the point where there was serious discussion at one point of
>creating a Jewish "autonomous region" that would be the Homeland of
>Russia's Jews!).

The Jewish Autonomous zone exists. This isn't so surprising once you find out it's somewhere in Siberia...

>As a weird aside, I'm just guessing but I'd bet 5 stotinki that
>the "sin monks" -- can't remember the damn Russian name for the
>group -- was the basis for the chaos monk writeup in Tradetalk!

The Khlysty perhaps? Not specifically a basis for the chaos monks, but their attitude (Since sin is the first step to redemption, they danced naked at nocturnal meetings to achieve a state of frenzy then engaged in flagellation or group sex) would be found among some Borists. Or Losers. Perhaps even some Rokari...