Red Stars and Stripes

From: Drew Craft <drewcraft_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 12:00:36 PDT

>Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:59:45 +0200
>From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_mail.bol.bg>
>Subject: SU? Nay, US!
>

>I can see where from certain viewpoints (say, of someone living in SE
>Europe, or Russia, or Latin America) where one could infer that the
>**US* is the model for the Lunar Empire, not the SU. And 1990s America
>with its penchant for intervention works even better! Consider:

Actually I'm an American and I've often thought of the Lunars this way.

Snip a bunch of useful comparisons

>* This means we can all give the Dara Happans Southern redneck accents.

I would argue that the Orlanthi are the blueneck hillbillies of Genertala and thus prime candidates for drawls. (And it's not as if the more advanced Northern parts of our metaphorical Empire haven't resorted to force to keep our Southern brethren in a more perfect union.)

>Of course, there's lots of reasons why it's *not* a good model (it's a
>settler state, lacks strong ethnic "subregions," tradition of naval
>power, "MTV & Nike" chic unsatisfying for Red Moon fashion, etc.) -- but
>it works well enough IMO you could use it as the "concept" for a game.

The soft power aspect of the empire has only been slightly touched on in Glorantha. Occasionally you hear of complaints about the introduction of gin and red wine, but there hasn't been a wide-spread introduction (yet) of brightly colored clothes and latest poetry of everyone's favorite superheroine. "Darn kids just want to wear flashy clothes, love whoever they want and realize their inner self-potential, rather than marry and steal cows for the all important purpose of any Heortling. To have more cows." Drew