Red Emperor in Parts

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 13:29:42 +1200

Martin Laurie:

>I was denying the number of parts as necessarily being 7.

Which makes him superior to the Goddess...

>I think he has more than that

<Lifts his eyes heavenward and mutters "Partes non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem...">

>and one of them is his singular takenegi part
>that was created at Castle Blue.

What is wrong with the proposition that the Takenegi portion being the Rashoranic portion? It is simple, elegant and it doesn't fuck around with the sources.

> >Comparing [the FS] with the Lunar Wane Chronicle shows serious
> >amounts of spin.

>Greg said to me that the LWC is not objectively true in all
>particulars

And the FS is?

Compare the FS to the LWC in the case of Jannisor's revolt:

Fortunate Succession: "No forces opposed them, and the Emperor ordered all cities loyal to him should surrender rather than be destroyed. [...] This was according to the plans of the Red Emperor. The man who had never lost a battle was not losing one here".

LWC: "Two successive battles were fought at Einar's farm (1/24) and Vashpolis (1/25) where Jannisor led the Dara Happans to crushing victories. In 1/26 the Red Emperor was maimed and his spirit bound within his body after a personal duel with the enemy Hero"

Which one is closer to the truth?

>Actually thinking over your point here, he has 6 Yelmic parts and
>7 DH parts. They are different parts. Antirius is not in the
>Lunar parts and Gerra is not in the DH parts, so how many soul
>parts does he have IYO?

Yelmic parts _are_ Dara Happan parts. Get out a copy of the RQ2 con bloody compendium (p84) and the Entekosiad (p112) and compare!

Parts                   Yelm                    Goddess

Shapes                  Envirinus               Gerra
(Physical Body)
Warmth                  Bijiif                  Lesilla
(Life Force)
Beast                   BernEel                 Orogeria
(Reproductive Force)
Bird                    Vrimak                  Zaytenera
(Intellect)
Shadow                  Kazkurtum               Natha
(Mystery)
Fire                    Antirius                Verithurusa
(Self Awareness)
Great Self              -                       Rashoran
(Transcendence)

What is being suggested is that for the Red Emperor, he has the Great Self portion as being TakenEgi. Since he is an Emperor, his fire portion (Self Awareness) is Antirius as are all Yelmic Emperors.

You have stated that the Red Emperor is a Gestalt of Parts. The appropriate creation myth for TakenEgi's making would be the creation of Murharzarm in the Glorious ReAscent with the Lunar Egi adding the collective sum of their Rashoranic portions.

His shape originally was Dozkalos but no longer is now. Every time his shape portion changes, it is recognized as being a new mask. His Great Self portion does not change and since he has been the Emperor every time, his Antirius portion also does not change.

What the many-bodies theory is suggesting that every time his mask changes, the new shape is provided by another person, just as Dozkalos provided the original shape.

What the remaining four shapes (Warmth, Beast, Shadow and Bird) are like should be a matter of some mystery. We know from Magnificus ("for five of his parts are not the same") that they change between incarnations. Since one of them governs the Intellect, each mask has a different mind, yet they are all TakenEgi. It's not too much of a stretch to admit to the masks having different memories as well.

I do believe the parts are formed from a fusion of the host's own parts plus the needs and desires of TakenEgi. A strong-willed host can impose some of his original nature onto the resulting mask, but I think it more probable that the TakenEgi portion amplifies whatever traits of the host that he finds desirable or leave out bits that he doesn't want. The resulting entity is still TakenEgi.

> >he would be obliged to point out that the Red
> >Emperor "appears" there, wouldn't he?

>Has it ever occured to you that he "might" have appeared there
>and that there is no spin on it at all, that it was
>simply a factual report, or is this impossible?

To point out the bloody-obvious-to-everybody-save-M.-Laurie, Greg does not and has never written straight factual reports from the viewpoint of a gloranthan. He is physically incapable of doing so.

[on recognizing Artifex]

> >>I think that give that almost all the highest members of the
> >>Empire died at NoH, there was bound to be confusion and a loss
> >>of knowledge.

> >And how do you reconcile this with "It would seem [the Red Emperor]
> >is relatively easy to recognise, yes."?

>Because, there was noone left to recongise him. Most of the nobility
>and high priests bit it at NoH which was a disaster as great as the
>Dragonkill for Peloria. I think this would have had a huge effect on
>the Empire.

Yet there were still significant amounts of nobility intent on making their own high priest into the Emperor. Surely they would have remembered who Magnificus was like?