Re: Trickster Legality

From: Meirion Hopkins <Meirion_at_ukgateway.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 13:11:29 +0100

> Andreas Mueller

> From the "Heroes of Wosdom" I know, that the Orlanthi militia had no
> right to arrest me (though they did nethertheless ;-). Nearly the same
> would apply to anybody of Sor-Eels household, I think. On the other
> hand, tricksters are said to be outside of the law (at least in Orlanthi
> Law).

Specifically on the trickster bit, their being outside the law (ie outlaws) means that whilst no-one has any legal sanction against them, they gain no protection from the law. This is why being a trickster in Orlanthi society is one of the capital crimes: anyone who feels like it can kill a trickster.

The exception to this is a 'tamed' trickster. One who has a powerful patron to protect them and take responsibility for their actions. As Orlanth takes responsibility for Eurmal and (tries) to keep him under some sort of control, so a clan chief takes responsibility for the official clan trickster. (There is probably a heroquest involved to bind the trickster and moderate their activities: or perhaps you just carefully pick a milder trickster: a fool rather than a murderer).

> What would happen, if Agrestis, the trickster of Sor-Eel would be found
> to be a thief, killer or such? I would say, he would stand outside of
> Sir Davis Garhounds justice and only be subject to a lunar court.
> Despite this, he would have ended in Garhounds jail for several hours
> (if nobody of the Lunars would have been on the scene of arrest), and
> nothing more would have been needed.

Under Orlanthi law, Sor-Eel would be responsible for his actions. Perhaps Sir Davis could petition for a hearing under lunar law against Sor-Eel if it was a sufficiently serious crime to be worth the political repercussions.

Meirion