Re : yurt controversy ?

From: HCarteau_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 16:57:43 EDT

Since there is no wood in Mongolia (try growing a tree in such wind), yurts have very little wood in them. In pre-historic times, I think mammoth bones were used. I think bones are still in use today. It's warm inside if you're a mongol, born and bred into one. For a 20th century brit or frenchman, 8 to 10°C is still quite cold. The furniture is "lavish" again for mongolian standards. Also remember : no electricity and no running water (use melted snow). Last but not least, yurt is the russian word, out of fashion now. I think the mongolian word is "ger", which seems to be the origin of the french word "guerre" (war).
Mongolians should live a lot like pentian/char-un barbarians, less the magic.