Davids Post

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 13:10:44 EDT

Me:
>It would seem to me that fewer parts you have the closer to the One you
>are. If
>Yelm had remained properly pure then maybe he would not have fallen.

David:
> Yelm could only have remained pure by not becoming involved in the
>material world - he would not have been Yelm if he had. The only way to
>have no shadow is to cast no light, the only way to have no body is to have
>no material existence, the only way to have no divine seed is to not
>connect to others in that way.

Agreed. His three higher parts are only worth something when reflected upon the three lower parts. His light upon the earth.

>It is possible to have more than 7 parts if counting pieces -
>indeed, the Red Emperor trivially has more than 7 if he is capable of
>bilocation, and has more than one body.

That is indeed what I was thinking about. Thank you for clariftying it, as I plainly did not make my thinking well know. I was looking at the purely material aspects of succession. To the DHs, they would not equate his role as head of the DH church with his role as TeeloNorri or Verithurusa which the Lunar do. They would be insulted to be told by a mystical view that those parts were the same. When examining the Emperor, him doing a Verithurusa rite is not going to make them think of Antirius, even if Antirius is the same "type" of part as Verithurusa.

From a mystical POV, his parts are of course, of a type. From a purely practical priestly POV, I do not think they see it that way at all. If that were the case, the crusty old Yelm priests would be frolicking with Verithurusa priestesses hand in hand. Interesting image, but I don't think _politically_ accurate.

>But thats not what the 7 parts doctrine means.

I would contend that you are right, but from a succession POV, the parts of the Emperor are also his priestly duties, rituals and obligations as the head of the cults and groups he is supposed to rule as head of state. Given that we were arguing from a purely practical succesion POV in part, I was not talking mythicphysics. If that confused anyone, I apologise.

>Does he have more than 7 TYPES of part?

No and again, thank you for clarifying so well. I can see now that two groups of people have been arguing over totally different perspectives.

>Well, that would be
> a very astonishing assertion to make, effectively making him more than the
>gods in some way. (and if he had less than 7, he would be less than
>human).

He isn't human, but I see your point

> The 6/7 parts is a system of description, not a packing list
>(congratulations on your purchase of the Red Emperor kit, please find
>included the following component parts...).

Agreed! However, politically he _is_ a kinda list. He has to gain power over many widely divergent and often mutually hostile cults and reglions. In effect he has to be able to shag like Berneel Arashagorn while at the same time being able to kill like Natha. He has to know the rites to these and his place in them. He participates in the Heron Dance when in Darjiin and other rituals and must have the magics and the knowledge to withstand them.

Parts list

Takenegi - his singular self, bereft of all roles and positions, he still exists as a being.
Red Emperor - his Antirius right to rule. All the Yelmic parts
To gain Bijiif for example, I belive the Emperor has to go to Alkoth and take part on the death of Yelm. I don't think many masks have done this. Head of the Rifelzan Church. Prove that you are her son. This one is easy for him.
Head of the Nathan church and ALL its aspects. Padishah of Carmania
Vrimak of Rinliddi
Snake of Darjiin
There are more of course and these are political and religious parts of his rule AND most importantly, the succession. On reflection, the use of the word "parts" was probably not a good idea. Apologies for confusing folk.

Martin Laurie