Moonson, Body and Soul

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 09:43:42 +0100

Martin writes:

> So what you are saying is that all along, the RMM has put forward the
> view that ...

Well, I'll speak for myself here. "The RMM" is a bit of a corporate entity, and I'd probably need to check with about as many people as Takenegi's Parts before saying anything definite.

This is *my* take on what's *really* going on in "Life of Moonson". It is consistent with that game, and with our other publications. It was my intent when I contributed to "Life of Moonson" and to the Red Emperor cult writeup; I spoke up for it during design, and feel it is adequately represented in the end products. What more can I say?

> the person who ends up being Emperor is simply possessed by the eternal
> spirit of the deity and that the past history of the person is irrelevant
> to the singular nature of the incarnated deity?

It is *not* a "simple possession". (If you want to see that, we have Delecti and Belintar already in Glorantha, who take over their new host body *only* to use as a body, disposing of its previous spirit to various fates. When you enthused about "simple possession" as a mechanism in V7# 572, you were shot down, and I believe you now acknowledge this). It is something more than that.

But yes, I agree that "the past history of the person is irrelevant to the singular nature of the incarnated deity" -- whatever that means. Moonson is not less Moonson these days because he wears a Mask. And there's still only one of him.

> Or are you saying that the deity incarnates but is somehow affected by the
> spirit and thinking of the person it inhabits to the point where they are
> subordinate or an equal partner?

Certainly not an "equal partner", but yes, I believe that the bits that make up each Mask (including the spirit and nature of the Body), as well as the members of the Council of Egi who re-integrate Moonson into his new Mask, *do* affect the singular composite whole. This is why Lunars are willing to "play politics" to "become" Moonson and/or play a part in his reincarnation.

>: [guff about demigods having more than seven parts to their souls].

> Yep, Still agree with that. One part is his self. The other parts of
his
> Emperorship he picks up through politics, religion and role. Orignally
> he was Takenegi:and nothing else.

Martin, it seems to me that you are creating a great deal of difficulty for yourself by insisting that Moonson is always 7/7ths identical to each of his previous appearances, when we know from TFS that he is not, and we know from common sense that his shape, his body, his outward form is nowadays *different* for every Mask.

You write that "one part is his self". Others (including Peter Metcalfe and David Cake) have repeatedly agreed that Takenegi's "Great Self", his Lunar illuminated Seventh Soul, is *always* the same in *every* Mask of Moonson.

I fully agree that Takenegi's Self is always 100% Takenegi, singular, immaculate and perfect, and has never been anything else, and has always been in Moonson.

I also think that the DHs would say Moonson is also 1/6th (or 1/7th) Antirius, giving him continuity with the previous Dara Happan Emperors. This sixth (or seventh) is *not* "Takenegi, and nothing else". If it was, there would be no such continuity. Moonson's soul part is that of Antirius.

In "Life of Moonson" we showed a contest to become the Emperor's Body, and have 1/7th input into the creation of the new Mask of Moonson. Moonson's "body part", we propose, is that of somebody else. Like the Soul of Antirius, this body is incorporated into a new entity whose Great Self, whose Lunar Seventh Soul, is that of Takenegi.

This directly parallels the way Rufelza (a divine being) became manifest in Teelo Norri (a human being with a prior history), and the way Takenegi (a divine being) became manifest in Doskalos (a human being with a prior history). It is hard to get more Lunar than these two, frankly. It is hard to see why you would *want* to get less, when the alternative is clearly more fun.

When the new Mask is created, it has the Body of the Mandated "winner" (cf. "Life of Moonson"), the Soul of Antirius, and the Self of Takenegi (plus some other bits the Egi slap together which we aren't very interested in [yet]). It is a singular entity. It has the same Self that Moonson has always had. But it is continuing in its mission to experience humanity through different forms.

> Or, maybe it wasn't clear at all and that is why I made my apology
> to David?

It wasn't clear at all. It looked like you were challenging David to discard or double-up established Dara Happan and Lunar conceps because they aren't point-for-point identical. Not that you were making some "practical political point" about the nature of the imperial succession.

I *strongly* recommend that you stop using the phrase "soul part" to refer to *anything* political and practical (and not magical). I mention this because I see you using "soul parts (political!)" in a later post in V7 #607 to Alex. It only creates confusion. I suspect that you are now *deliberately* generating this confusion to cover up your past use of "soul" to mean "soul" (and not "political role conferred in a practical manner"). But that's just my opinion...

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick