Interregnum

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 12:22:01 +0100

I think I see part of the problem we're having. Maybe if I talk through what I think happens in the interregnal period, some light will emerge.

(1) In my view, when a Mask of Moonson dies, Moonson's parts fly apart --
like those of Yelm or Murharzarm. In the "interregnum" (which lasts a minimum of seven weeks) before a new Mask passes the Tests and is acclaimed in Glamour, Takenegi's Self is *somewhere else* (perhaps on the Red Moon, perhaps not?). Much heavy-duty heroquesting goes on during the interregnum to retrieve the scattered parts of Moonson and prepare for his reincarnation. Some of the heroquesters may have *political* motivations for getting involved, as well as (or instead of) a pious Lunar desire to re-create the Emperor. And even if they don't, it will *surely* reflect well on (e.g.) the Eel-Ariash Clan that they spent more time, money and lives on these quests than (say) the Sable Khan of Kostaddi did, and they could reasonably expect the new Mask to reward them for this dedication.

(2) At the same time and in the mundane world, there is a search to find
those persons with what we have called the Mandate of the Moon, who might be suitable to serve as the Body for the next Mask. These are likely to be high-up Lunar nobles, descendents of Moonson, powerful cultic figures, and the like. In any given interregnum, there could be several suitable candidates; moreover, the continued existance of Proxies for the previous Mask (who may, with their followers, sincerely believe that they *are* that Mask and that Moonson has *not* been killed) can serve to confuse matters
(i.e. to a Proxy's followers, a claimant looks like a rebel). There may be
armed struggles between rival camps (e.g. Proxy Wars, Rebels Resurrecting Gbaji); there may on the other hand be an orderly queue of claimants waiting patiently to undergo the Tests (e.g. the Mask of Artifex who passed the Tests when a DH High Priest "imposter" withdrew).

(3) It may well be, as Joerg suggested (V7#592, Singularity of Moonson),
that some candidates "appear" from the Other Side during rituals to fill the role of Red Emperor, as happens in other known Lunar cases (Jar-eel v. Belintar, ambush of Kallyr's SLBQ). There is no reason why this should happen only once in each interregnum, IMO, and no reason why its mere occurrence should lead to instant recognition of the jumped-up claimant as the One True Moonson Reborn. (Compare the story of Basko's "comic opposition" to Yelm, RQC p.33: just 'cos you dress the part and turn up at the right time and place, doesn't mean anyone with *real* power has to take you seriously).

(4) I do not think it is the case that every institution in the Empire can
infallibly detect the future Body of Moonson against all its rivals. Remember that we are in an interregnum, here: the claimants do not yet have
(and do not claim to have) Takenegi's Self -- they only assert that they are
fit to receive it. Perhaps imperial institutions (e.g. the Army, the Household, the Senate) can validate claimants' Mandates? But as I said above, there can be more than one valid Mandate, so this doesn't resolve matters.

(5) I do not think it is the case that *only* the future Body of Moonson can
overcome (and even "re-integrate") a Proxy relict of the previous Mask's. Thus, defeating a Proxy does *not* prove that you are going to be the eventual winner. It proves that you can beat up someone who denies your right to compete in the Tests, nothing more. Further, I do not think it is the case that the future Body of Moonson can *always* overcome (and re-integrate) a Proxy. History shows us that Moonson cannot always defeat every foe, even when he is an enthroned and empowered Emperor. Thus, defeating or being defeated by a Proxy proves little in itself. So followers of a defeated claimant may well look for someone else to support, rather than falling in behind the guy who just beat up their leader.

(6) In passing the various Tests, the Emperor is re-integrated. Through
rituals performed in Glamour, in the City of Dreams and upon the Red Moon, his Singular Self and his Imperial Soul come to inhabit the Suitable Body of the victorious claimant. At this point, there is a new Mask of Moonson. He possesses the Lunar Seventh Soul of Takenegi, the Imperial Fiery Mantle of Antirius, a new and different-looking Body (retaining some of the mundane skills, interests and abilities from its previous life), and various other knobbly bits as well. Moonson Lives Again!

(7) Throughout the interregnal period, Moonson -- the singular Red
Emperor -- does not exist in any integrated form. He is reintegrated when the new Mask is acclaimed, and not before. This happens at the end of the interregnum. In fact, it *defines* it.

If I understand his posts correctly, Martin Laurie believes that:

(A) When a Mask dies, a new one "naturally" appears (just like that:
*bing*), already possessing the soul of Takenegi. No rituals or heroquests are necessary to bring this about. As soon as this new Mask appears, there is obviously no contest, and everyone loyal rallies round to support him.

(B) The Emperor's Body is a magical thing which "just appears" at the same
time as the new and singular incarnation of Takenegi. It doesn't look like anyone in particular. And it *certainly* hasn't had a prior life (unlike, say, Doskalos or Teelo Norri). It appears out in the boonies, "proving" that it can't possibly be a powerful noble or similar figure. (After all, none of the powerful nobles in the Empire are aware that the Red Goddess herself first manifested out in the boonies...)

(C) Until the new Mask appears, there is *usually* no contest (although the
forthcoming Secession Crisis will differ in this respect), because everyone is waiting for the New, Singular and Easily Identifiable Mask to manifest itself, without this manifestation requiring any input or effort on their behalf. High-up Lunars do not think they should be doing anything practical to assist in the reincarnation of their Emperor: they merely wait and see. Powerful nobles in the Lunar Empire never have political or selfish motives for doing anything during an interregnum, nor would they dare act upon them if they did because they know that when the True Emperor returns, they will be discovered and punished.

(D) Opposition to the new Mask once he appears is, ipso facto, treachery.
There are no plausible alternative candidates whom anyone sensible and loyal would support: their backers really *are* trying to resurrect Gbaji, or break up the Empire, or knowingly support a False Proxy.

(E) The Tests serve to confirm that the One True Emperor is who he says he
is. He is in no way changed by undergoing the Tests. He goes into them with the Self of Takenegi and the Soul of Antirius, and comes out the other side the same way. There is, in a very real sense, no contest. Nobody else could ever complete the Tests. Thus nobody ever tries to and fails. Anybody else who attempted the Tests would be (ipso facto) a traitor, or a madman.

(F) The Interregnal period includes a time when Moonson is apparently
"gone", and a time when Moonson is fully reincarnated in a new Mask and wandering around Peloria brushing aside traitors and waiting to pass the Tests again. There is no "in-between" state. The interregnum ends when the new Mask has completed the Tests, but in fact Moonson has been around all along. His re-integration happens "off-stage", and normal humans (and priests, politicians, heroquesters, etc.) don't have anything to do with it.

Is that a fair summary of where we differ?

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick