The Goddess's Justice

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 22:27:13 +1200

John Hughes:

>Can normal people lose parts of their souls? What happens when they do?

Yes, they can. Such people are incompletes. The most famous example are the Logicians (who would include the Carmanian Viziers and other sorcerers). The "Gods First Error" myth in the Entekosiad has the list of other incompletes.

>And at the most fundamentally, what does this soul/reincarnation lore
>tell us about the Lunar view(s) of reality?

That everybody has six or seven parts.

>Is the Goddess Just? What *is* the Justice of the Goddess?

Justice is an attribute of Yelm, and not the Goddess. I think that Lunar mystics will say on one day that the Goddess is not Just and on the next day that She is yet insist that both arguments are True.

>Can the Emperor err?

Yes, he can. His conduct at the Night of Horrors had extremely unfortunate consequences.

>Is social status related to reincarnation?

It's explicitly stated so in the Jonstown Compendium (Runequest Companion) and I haven't seen Greg recant it, although he has muddied it up somewhat with the six/seven souls.

>Is reincarnation for all, or just for the elect (the Moses and
>Elijah analogy)?

For all.

>What is the ultimate goal of the reincarnation cycle?

There's really two goals.

The traditional orthodoxy (as stated in the RQC) is that you become reborn into more refined stations until you are reborn as one of the Sky People who never die.

The Lunar goal is to comprehend the Cycle of Life and Death. Once this is done, one is not reborn and also not not reborn.

>What does it say about *individual* survival?

There is no such thing AFAIK. Upon death, the various soul parts fly apart and may appear in different people at different places. Only Gods come back from the dead in roughly the same form as before.

>Is belief in reincarnation reflected in the justice system?

Certainly. The system is biased towards people of higher social status. Their parts have come from people who were good in a previous life and so it is right and proper they should be rewarded better.

>Will people remember past lives?

I haven't seen much evidence for it. Only the Red Emperor is described as doing so according to our sources.