Re: Red Emperor

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 13:01:44 +0100 (BST)

Tadaaki Kakegawa:
> If I understand what Martin says correctly, if Count Julan happen to
> become Red Emperor, he is now Takenegi, not Julan

That sounds more like what _Nick_ is saying, actually. Martin seems to regard the antecedent as necessarily false. But:

> and his past life /
> personality / etc. does not affect nature of Red Emperor, as
> Teelo Norri/ Red Goddess. Is it correct?

What, not at all? I can't see the point of this, then: it's not in the spirit of he being an Egi, it's no fun, it has no political spin-offs, and is otherwise the worst of both worlds.

My stab at the _best_ of both worlds: Julan doesn't 'become' the RE, he sacrifices himself as one of the Egi so that the new Mask can emerge. The new Mask may be almost entirely unlike Julan, or significantly like him in certain respects, All Depending. (Depending essentially on what suits our story-telling purposes, but Gloranthocentrically, it'd be on the Cosmic Purpose the new Mask is called upon to serve, political stitch-ups, the exact magical details of the ritual, or/and whatever else is going on at the time...)

Cheers,
Alex.