Re: More on the Emperor (educating Martin)

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 14:39:09 +0100 (BST)

David Cake:
> Martin seems hopelessly confused, or maybe just hopelessly
> confusing, between the Red Emperor (the political status of Lunar ruler of
> the Empire) and the Red Emperor (the personage who occupies this role)

To defend Martin at least subliminally, it seems harsh to accuse of 'confusing' two things which are, in fact, the same. Only one 'personage' has occuppied the position, so if it's possible for another person to do so, it's at best unproven. To argue that the Masks are different people, or that they're different from the original, doesn't seem especially useful to me, though grnated post-Sheng, both the person _and the nature of the office_ must have had to be subtly 'redefined'.

I imagine that at least some of the forthcoming HW RE events may not be as clear-cut as 'same ole RE, again', or 'no more RE, ever', as such 'redefinitions' happening, to the unease of many parties. ("Prove that you're the same guy!" "Prove that I'm not." *bop*)

Cheers,
Alex.