Deliberate?

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 13:45:44 EDT

Nick
>I now see Martin's problem. He is loyally and conscientiously striving to
>write a deliberately boring account of the imperial succession for Greg,
>but it is one which he would never dream of using himself.

Well firstly, it is not boring, but different. If it had been the spin that was recognised from word go, it would not have been "boring". You and others have put a more "interesting" spin on it in that there is more action, more chaos and less certainty, which is of course more interesting. For active minds, ambiguity is more appealing. For those who begin HW, they will prefer more certainty and the HW plotline gives them that in spades.

Secondly, noone is "deliberately" trying to write something dull. Seems kinda silly to do that eh? You'd rightly get out the nails and the cross for me. What has to be understood is that Gregs plotline for the HW is in no way dull, its huge and full of conflict. I was excited to read it.

The Lunar Empire is simply part of that process. It is neither the most important part nor the most exciting part. It is a simply one piece in the puzzle. Taken from that macro perspective, the whole succession and then secession thing seems less of a problem.

This is why I am okay about writing it, as Greg specifies, because it works according to the uber plot. Not exactly how I would do it if I were writing the uber plot, but everyone is different.

I spoke to Greg today and he is waiting for the boxes of HW product to arrive and is very excited. He made it clear though that the HW plot line will provide the succession and secession problems that everyone wants.

Martin Laurie