Hero Wars Red Emperor

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 17:42:08 EDT

David Dunham on the RE debate:
<< It's Greg's model, not Martin's (which I think Martin has made clear
 from the beginning), and it could be argued that it's more  interesting IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE HERO WARS. (Which I'll bet  none of us on the Digest have been.)>>

I think it is being argued that it is, at best, only as interesting. It seems to me that if the Red Emperor is going to disappear, never to reappear, and that everyone knows that this is the sorry state of imperial affaris then it is a big disaster for the Lunar Empire, but all people can do is mutter "Too bad....too bad" and get on with something else (killing each other in a Hero War, presumably). If there is believed to be a chance that someone could Heroform the Emperor and recover his Great Self Soul Part then this is what someone should be doing/trying to do. "We got the Red Emperor after Sheng destroyed all but two of his soul part, surely we can get something like him back even if we can't get his Great Self?" - hence, I believe anyway, the Monster Emperor.

<< It means that at the moment of

 his disappearance, the Empire is plunged into turmoil. Nobody knows  what to do, and many keep hoping for his return as usual. This might  be more interesting than a "routine" succession problem.>>

But this would be a routine succession until all the conflicting nobles, mystics, heroes, etc discovered that despite all their efforts, the Red Emperor wasn't 'emerging' in any one. If everyone immediately knows that it isn't a routine succesion then immediately everyone loses all hope of a continuing empire. The 'normal' turmoil of a 'normal' Red Emperor Death doesn't sort itself out, it becomes much worse.

<< While I admit that Greg's grand Hero Wars plot is cool, I'm not yet
 convinced that this is the most interesting time to play in  Glorantha... And I think if you are playing pre-Hero Wars, the  guaranteed re-incorporation ex nihilo of the Red Emperor is less  interesting. >>

I agree that there are plenty of other times to get excited about, and that seem suitable to a Hero Wars rule treatment, but will wait before I say the HW are not the most interesting time until I see something.

Keith N