Re: Bastards & cop outs

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 00:31:56 +0100 (BST)

Danny Mr:
> Anyway, the reason I think it's a cop out is because it smacks of laziness.
> Saying it's ambiguous sounds like well I don't really know, but I'll listen
> to various ideas and say they're all correct.

If done beyond the point of all sanity or utility, then clearly yes. But what about if all the assorted ideas _are_ each correct? (Or partially correct, or 'correct on some level', or whatever.) If to state a bald fact one way or the other would be to mislead, over-simplify, or preclude interesting possibilities, then I personally would prefer 'ambiguity', or more particularly, what I'd like is material that as descriptive as it can be, but isn't needlessly prescriptive. Being told funky facts about how things have happened in the past, evocative sources on what the Egi get up to, is better than blad statements like "The Emperor ain't human, in any respect, and ain't got any in him" or "The Emperor is just a power with a light dusting of added Lunar and Yelmic powers", to take too hopefully hypothetically extreme cases...

Cheers,
Alex.