Always Another Way...

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 20:15:30 +0100

Martin wrote:

>> In the interests of Conspiracy Theory I won't agree to this. Far >> more fun to implicate Dave Cake's scheming Lunar Nobility...

> I think it might be something as simple as Peters point. My little
> RE story is the X-files version.

I also think it *might* be something that simple. But I will not agree that it *is* something that simple, and nor do I think that we should disclose, as a certain fact, whether it is or isn't that simple. Let's keep the mystery intact, and let authors and users generate the conspiracy-theory spinoffs to suit their own tastes. Not close down options unnecessarily.

> Basically after a couple of seasons people start to get nervous,
> then they start to quest to find him.

Or -- RMM model -- all the people questing to find him (in the normal interregnal way) keep on failing disastrously, after which surviving people get more nervous and start heavy-duty improvisational quests to find out if something's gone wrong.

> Then they talk to his Mom and the Egi and are told - make your own.
> Rather like dying Alexander to his Generals - who should rule?
> "The strongest" and then things get dangerous.

Yep, OK by me. In the RMM model, no probs with "make your own" being a *different* instruction from that used in prior reincarnations. Though I also like my "Nightmare Scenario", qv.

> In the HW timeline so far, it is 10 years before a powerful Emperor
> establishes himself on the unified throne.

Meaning we have Argenteus dead 1628, successors emerging a few years down the timeline, and someone "winning" well enough to reunite the fractured Empire by 1638?

> Bloody hell, will you stop saying things I agree with? I'm getting
> nervous!

I don't see why I should. It is in all our interests to find points of agreement between our respective bodies of work, surely? This is much easier now you have stopped being openly dismissive or destructive of our account.

> Bearing [VIOLENCE] in mind you seem suprised that the singular model
> or your intrigue model isn't how my Glorantha works?

No, I assumed the singular model would be made unnecessarily VIOLENT. Now I know that the singular model *won't* be the kind of thing that you would play left to yourself, I can readily understand where you're going, as well as the reasons for your past reticence on the list.

Of course, the RMM model has always had *more* VIOLENCE (e.g. proper full-blown civil wars between imperial reigns, daggers-drawn imperial succession conflicts between rival "pretenders" and their noble houses, etc.) than the ultra-greggly bland succession of identical Moonsons. (NB: I write "ultra-greggly" because the already published greggly version in Fortunate Succession is more interesting than the new spin you have been asked to put upon it).

> Don't require [VIOLENCE], but are much more appealing with it IMO.

It's always an option; but there's always another way.

Cheers, Nick

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #622