Movies and news.

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_sierratel.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 09:37:20 -0700

>PS: Saw 'Gladiator' last night (or as Dame Edna would describe it,
>'Gladioliis'). A manly film about manly men doing manly things to each
>other. Obstensibly about the reign of Commodus, last of the Antonines, (who
>as far as I know was the only emperor, sane or otherwise to actually
*fight*
>in the arena), this movie makes Braveheart look like history. However, it
>does feature a rather nice opening battle between Romans and smelly
>barbarians, all fires and mist and wind-blown snow, which may bring the
>'Lunars as Romans' analogue back into wider circulation. Overall, I'd give
>Gladiator *ahem* a thumbs up. I'll post a few thoughts on it over the
>weekend, if only as an alternative to the frenzied oedipal maneuverings of
>the last fortnight.

I caught a film on TV the other night called _The Viking Sagas_. Actually really pretty good. Filmed in Iceland, with what looks like an all-Icelandic cast. I'm not sure which saga they were doing (not having read the sagas in many moons), but lots of good Orlanthi background material, including the wife of one of the villains giving him hell for suggesting that they make peace with the heros. The fight scenes aren't up to current Hollywood or Hong Kong standards, but I give it a pair of thumbs (no, not Morokanth thumbs, regular ones :-) ) up.

BTW, Greg has the HW materials in hand for the packing party, so next week should see the first HW box sets going out - the ones for the GTA Heroes (and Rune Lords? do they get 'em?), contributors, and pre-orders will be sent out Monday. Expect to start to see the boxes in the stores towards the end of the week/next week depending on shipping times.

Roderick