Avoid the Void

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 21:31:22 +0200

This is really old, catching up again...

Julian:

> > <<The Ultimate Goal of dragonewt
> > mysticism is to become One with the Void that is
> > Ourobouros, in the Heart of Chaos, in the Outside of
> > Existence. To acheive this, Ourobouros (and the
> > dragonewts) must Devour the World.>>
> >
> > IMG, but I suppose in most Gloranthas, Julian, this is not a condivisible
> > concept.
>
> This is a difficult thread that hasn't been done properly either on-list
> or in-print : the people to ask are Nils and Alex. Peter knows much
> of these matters, and a David (and I hope I'm not forgetting anyone ... ).
> I know some of it.
>
> But Nils and Alex have the *facts*.

That is an exaggeration, I'm afraid... Vithelan mysticism has been discussed and explored to some extent. Kralorelan draconism only in quite vague terms and dragonewt philosophy not at all.

I would agree, but as Peter writes:

>Moreover the Void
>doesn't really exist in all cultures. It's a NiangMaoist
>(a minor but influential philosophy in Kralorela) goal and
>is not the belief of the more numerous Darudists (who think
>it's dragons all the way down) or the Vithelans (who waffle
>about Durapdur instead).

I can only add the the followers of (Vithelan) Larn Hasamador's school speak of Nothing, which is probably pretty much the same as the NiangMaoist Void.

Julian again:

>As Nils and Alex have pointed out to me
>(although they've asked me not to reveal any of the nitty-gritty
>specifics of actual Eastern Cults and Philosophies),
>there isn't actually any notion of 'Chaos' as such in most
>cultures that are based on Mysticism.
>(I think that I can say this much at least, without stepping
>on any expert toes ?) :-)

No problem. Yes, chaos is not a concept which is native to the eastern philosophies. A Vithelan wouldn't see it as a relevant distinction. What matters is rather transcendent or not.

Peter:

>There's obviously some sort of misunderstanding going on for
>the Easterners do have antigods and they do identify chaotics
>as being members of the latter.

But most antigods are not chaotic, and without outside help, a Vithelan couldn't distinguish a chaotic antigod from a non-chaotic one IMO.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com