Moonson

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 02:13:12 +0800

> I like the Lunars. I think that they are, fundamentally, the good guys.
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but the RMM material seems to assume that the
>Lunars, while they may be rather sympathetic, are ultimately the villains of
>Glorantha.

        I think this would be very far from the case - I think most of the RMM gang are very sympathetic to the Lunar point of view.

>The RMM view on Moonson seems to derive at least partly from
>this -- it assumes that Moonson has relatively normal (and often base)
>motivations. In my opinion, it makes him too _human._

        The Lunars are perhaps the most sophisticated society in Glorantha in many ways. Full of contradictions. We want them to be human, because we like them.

        I think the somewhat more human version of the Lunar Empire that you get from the RMM crowd is more a sign of a deep affection for the place, and the various RW inspirations (like the Romans and the Byzantines) as well.

> Moonson is a divine being. He interacts with the world on a level that
>few humans can imagine. While his corruption and decadence certainly seem
>obvious, it's just not safe to assume that he has human motives for what he
>does. The way I see it, Moonson treats life like a Heroquest -- he bases
>his actions on their symbolic value, rather than on motivations like
>pleasure and pain.

        I think he is human AND divine. His corruption and decadence are only meaningful in a human context. All part of his uniqueness.

> I feel that letting humans choose the mask for him --
>or, worse yet, letting the mask's personality cloud his vision -- damages
>that sense of purpose and ritual.

        I think it deepens the issue. He becomes not just an inhuman cypher, but a living embodiment of the deepest Lunar mysteries, reflecting all the purpose and ritual of his subjects in his person.

	Cheers
		David

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #632